Submission Information for Recreation Room
The number of issues of Recreation Room per year depends on participation by Star Trek fan artists and writers. It is likely the number will be from 2-4.
Issue 3 will probably be online around February/March 2007. Watch the home page for news updates.
Acceptable submissions can be:
- Art - traditional or digital media, including photomanipulations
- Stories - any length, including drabbles (100 word fics), vignettes, short stories, novellas and novels
- Essays - possible topics include observations on the Star Trek characters and their relationships (bear in mind that this is a het relationship zine), personal experiences of fan fiction reading/writing. Check with the for topic suitability.
If you wish to submit an item that you think does not fit into one of the above categories, or you are unsure of the eligibility of your work, the editor.
Submission Guidelines and Formats
All submissions will be accepted at contact (at) pointy-ears.com. Email subject headers should indicate that it is an Recreation Room submission and what type of work it is.
• Story submissions can be rated from G to NC-17. Stories with explicit sexual situations will be accepted. Art submissions can be rated from G to R (no explicit sexual situations in art, please).
• The focus of Recreation Room is on heterosexual relationships. Every story should depict a male/female relationship involving either two of the regular seven Star Trek characters [Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scott, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov], or one of those characters with a character outside that group.
• Pairings only - no threesomes or group relationships, although stories can focus on more than one het pairing.
• The main relationship(s) in stories must be heterosexual. Background relationships of other descriptions (slash, femslash) must be implied only. Ask if you aren't sure. The intention is to keep this a "het" zine as much as possible; there are other places for slash and other stories.
• Art can be in either .jpg or .gif format, and preferably no more than 200Kb in size. If you have something larger (e.g. a wallpaper) email the editor.
• Written work can be submitted in .doc, .txt, .rtf, or email format. Please include the following information at the top of your story:
CHARACTERS: (include the coding for the romantic pairing, e.g. K/U)
GENRE: (story/poem/filk/drabble - you can also state whether it's humour/angst/hurt-comfort etc.)
SUMMARY: A sentence or two about your fic.
DISCLAIMER: You don't own Star Trek. Confess here.
OTHER Any other information such as author notes, acknowledgement of beta readers.
If you are unsure how to properly code your story, feel free to ask.
Some common character codes are: K (Kirk), S (Spock), Mc (McCoy), Sc (Scott), U (Uhura), Su (Sulu), C (Chekov), Ch (Chapel).
• All written work should be checked for spelling and other errors. Having someone else read over your work (i.e. a beta reader) is a good idea.
Submission Rules - Please Read
• Submissions to Recreation Room can not have been published previously on the internet.
• Items that are accepted can not be published elsewhere for 2 months from their appearance in Recreation Room. After the 2 month exclusivity period, the author/artist is free to publish their work in other places.
The submission rules are subject to change without notice at any time. Please check this page before submitting art or written work to Recreation Room.
Changes to the submission rules, the submission and publishing dates and any other relevant information will be available on this site.
If you have any questions about anything on this page, feel free to contactme.